Application Forms

NOTE: At the 2018 AGM, KLAS members decided to simplify the KMG application process. The application forms below are still valid to apply for KMG certification this year, but by April 1 we will have uploaded a 2018 draft of a new, simplified, application form that will also be acceptable. The application deadline has been extended to April 14, 2018, to accommodate farmers who would like to try the new forms.

For any given farm or food processor, the required set of application forms will be unique, and examples are provided below. All forms are to be downloaded, saved, filled out on your computer, and then emailed to For detailed instructions, see Filling Out Electronic Forms.

Please do not submit paper applications.


Follow the steps below to assemble your application package:

1. Main Application

Farmers fill out this application:

Processors fill out these applications:

NOTE: Digital signatures are not required this year.

OPTIONAL: Two Letters of Reference from current or former KMG or Certified Organic farmers to attest that they visited your farm and observed only KMG-approved methods in the 1, 2, or 3 years prior to this year's application. These letters can advance your transitional status and possibly lead to full KMG certification in your first year.

2. Farm Map

Draw a simple farm map to show:

  • Roads and main access routes
  • Labeled buildings and storage sheds
  • Watercourses and permanent fences
  • Field IDs (See "Field History Records" below)

You may make the map however you want. The easiest method may be to draw it on a piece of paper and then either scan it or take a photograph. Include the image with the other forms when you email your application to the administrator.

3. Field History Records

All farmers fill a separate Field History Record for each field to be KMG certified. A "field" is any patch of land that has received and will receive the same treatment. Specifically, "treatment" is a record of the crops, amendments, and pest controls used for the past two years, the current year, and a projection into the next year.

Livestock and poultry farmers also fill a separate Pasture History Record to record the grazing history for each field.

Example: If three leased properties each have a hay field with the same treatment, include all three as "Field 1" in a single Field History Record, and label "Field 1" on each of the three fields on the map. The market garden might be "Field 2" and the orchard "Field 3". Another orchard also used to graze animals would be "Field 4", and so on.

4. Supplemental Forms

Farmers who grow vegetables, orchards, greenhouse crops, mushrooms, or forage must include one or more of the following forms, as applicable:

Farmers with poultry or livestock must include one or more of the following forms, as applicable:

Mulch/Manure Affidavit is required for mulch or manure sourced from off-farm. Each input requires a separate affidavit to vouch that prohibited substances have not been used in the mulch or manure. Signatures are no longer required, but please include the supplier's contact information.

The Prohibited Materials Register is used to identify and record prohibited materials that remain on a farm because they cannot be legally disposed.

Example Application Packages

Example: If you are certifying your vegetable and egg production on a leased farm that has a stash of historic herbicide (that cannot be legally disposed of, but is kept separate from your operation) and you add manure from a nearby beef operation each year, you will include:

  • Farm Map, KMG Application, Field History Record for each field, Crop Supplement, Greenhouse Supplement, Poultry Supplement,  Change in Livestock Register, Mulch/Manure Affidavit, and the Prohibited Materials Register.

Example: If you are selling dried mushrooms that are grown in a greenhouse (no field operations) in compost you prepare from wood chips brought in by a local arborist and sheep manure from a local farm, you will include:

  • Farm Map, KMG Application, Mushroom Supplement, Greenhouse Supplement, and a separate Mulch/Manure Affidavit for both the wood chips and the manure.

Example: If you are certifying a jelly/jam operation using berries you grow on your farm and purchased additives such as organic sugar, you will include:

  • Farm Map, KMG Application, Processor Application, Field History Record for each berry field, Crop Supplement, and a Product Profile for each product you process.